In response to many, many requests we're phasing in the capability to simply reply to private message notifications.
How it works
- When you get an email notification of a private message from another member, you can simply reply to the message by email. Please do not change the subject line when replying.
- The message goes to the site, gets posted in the message thread, and results in an email notification to the person you were replying to.
- They also get an email that they can just reply to.
- You can use email from any device to communicate.
- All your Warmshowers communications are available on the site.
- Less email communications should be lost into the spam folder because they'll always come from Warmshowers (not from an email correspondent you've never contacted before.)
- Your email address is not disclosed to correspondents unless you choose to give it to them.
What you need to do
- Please keep a careful eye on your mail and let us know about any problems either by posting a comment here or by using the contact form.
Please let us know how this works for you!
Thank you so much for implementing this. I've just enabled it and look forward to replying this way as it's so much easier for me on my Kindle.
This is so cool. Great work!
This feature doesn't appear to be working for me. I have replied to several messages by email but they don't appear in the message thread. You could try sending me a message so I can reply by email to see what is going wrong.
I partially appreciate this feature, but not so much.
The worst thing is that it does not allow to change the subject line.
I rely most on the first word of subject so always i reply with private messages, using as a sybject a string " - "
this way i can see easily all request ans osrt accordingly.
[i am in a place where i receive lots of request, i can host up to 4 groups at a time, so imagine the number of messages - in july just 1847]
So i would see much better putting the code in the reply-to field, not in the header, so the header remain available for important things.
(no MUA rely on reply to for sorting, so this would remain transparent)
also, very bad, i have seen that also messages from people that did not opted in for private messages arriving with ne new feature.
it's just another great job.
... is that the return address on email I receive via WS is "NoReply-Warmshowers.org" <[email protected]>, strongly implies the sender is unreceptive to return messages. I read through the included instructions and figured it out, but changing the NoReply- part to something like PrivateMsg- could make it a bit clearer.
Thanks for adding the message-to-mail gateway.
Just so you know I have missed at least 6 requests because I did not receive an email notification... ?
Thank you for your help... ;-)
Thanks very much for implementing this!
But... Any particular reason to force top-posting?
> --------------------- Please reply above this line -------------------+
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
Q: Why should I start my reply below the quoted text?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: The lost context.
Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?
Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?
Can I move that line so I can reply in a way that makes sense?