Salut and hello und hallo dear cyclist!
My name is Christina, Im a cyclist from Germany and Im planning my summer route along the Cote d'Azur at the moment. Hope time passes quickly :)
First of all, because I have read many forum discussions so far: I know it'll be very hot, there will be lots of traffic and yes, it's expensive. I don't mind all of that because my family and I have spent our last 15(!) summer holidays in the beautiful town of Port Grimaud, near St Tropez, and we always absolutely love it! Wouldnt go anywhere else, it really is our favourite place on earth :)
So instead of driving there with my family (12hrs in the car, bluargh...) I'm going to to cycle from Beziers to Port Grimaud (about 400k).
Now my questions:
- Has anyone cycled that part of the coast and has advice for me?
- How does that Eurovelo 8 route look at the moment? Would it be nicer to just travel along the coast or stick to the EV8?
- What about those campsites in August? There are sooo many warmshowers hosts and soooo many campsites. If you are a local or know the area, do you know...if it's easy to find a place to sleep in August?
- Will the campsites be fully booked or do they generally have a pitch for a 1-person-tent?
- Would I have to book in advance or can I just show up at reception?
If you have been there before or if you live there, I would be really grateful if you share your experience with me :-) I live on the Eurovelo 15, between the Dutch boarder and Düsseldorf, so could help you out there :)
Kind regards from Xanten/GER and thanks in advance,
Merci beaucoup (ouais, ma mere est professor de francais, haha)